20091224

OH! SUCH A LACK OF TASTE. HOW DO YOU RISE ABOVE?

I stopped reading Allt because it was just way too pretentious for me. Got bored of Blonde, don't know why. Started re-reading Donna Tartt's The secret history, did not finish it. Basically: have read nothing in a week except introductions. Don't know why I love introductions so much but I just do. "Victor Hugo was born in 1802..." I especially love reading the introductions to Iris Murdoch's books because, the people who writes them, always discuss how utterly implausible the story lines are. And yet they are so good. Like that.

Anyway, today it's Christmas. I need to wrap Christmas presents which I'm unbelievably bad at but, before I do that and since it's almost the end of the year and and an era and since I most likely won't read anything more in 2009 since I'm planning on getting and staying drunk starting from tomorrow (by the way, what's up with my English right now?), I'm going to post a list of all the books I've read this year. I realise this is of little interest to anyone except me but whatever. I'm going to write a bit more about some of the books in another post, the best ones and the worst ones. Anyway,this is what I've read and re-read this year:

BOOKS IN ENGLISH
Richard Yates - Revolutionary road
Iris Murdoch - A fairly honourable defeat
Curtis Sittenfeld - American wife
Curtis Sittenfeld - The man of my dreams
Curtis Sittenfeld - Prep
Albert Camus - The outsider
Ariel Levy - Female chauvinist pigs: Women and the rise of raunch culture
Margaret Drabble - A summer-bird cage
Margaret Drabble - The millstone
George Orwell - 1984
Steve Toltz - A fraction of the whole
Oscar Wilde - The importance of being earnest
Alex Garland - The beach
Alex Garland - The coma
Elisabeth Kostova - The historian
Alice Sebold - The lovely bones
Eminem - The way I am
Anthony Thornton and Roger Sargent - The Libertines bound together
Peter Welsh - Kids in the riot: High and low with The Libertines
Michael Collins - The secret life of E. Robert Pendleton
Margaret Atwood - The blind assassin
Margaret Atwood - Cat's eye
Tom Wolfe - I am Charlotte Simmons
A.M. Homes - The end of Alice
David Ebershoff - The 19th wife
Nic Sheff - Tweak: Growing up on methamphetamines
David Sheff - Beautiful boy: A father's journey through his son's addiction
Lionel Shriver - We need to talk about Kevin
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the half-blood prince
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the deathly hallows
Augusten Burroughs - Running with scissors
John Niven - Kill your friends
Jonathan Safran Foer - Extremely loud and incredibly close
Rebecca Miller - The private lives of Pippa Lee
Chuck Klosterman - Sex, drugs and cocoa puffs
Chuck Klosterman - Downtown owl
Chuck Klosterman - Chuck Klosterman IV: A decade of curious people and dangerous ideas
Tobias Wolff - Old school
Ben Elton - Chart throb
Ben Elton - Dead famous
Marisha Pessl - Special topics in calamity physics
Claude Houghton - I am Jonathan Scrivener
Stephanie Kuehnert - I wanna be your Joey Ramone
Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones: the edge of reason
Tom Perrotta - The abstinence teacher
Dave Cullen - Columbine
Mitch Albom - The five people you meet in heaven
Alasdair Duncan - Metro

BOOKS IN SWEDISH
Linda Skugge - Men mest av allt vill jag hångla med nån
Linda Skugge - Lindas bästa/värsta
Jonas Gardell - Ett ufo gör entré
Jonas Gardell - Jenny
Bodil Malmsten - Hör bara hur ditt hjärta slår i mig
Bodil Malmsten - Kom och hälsa på mig om tusen år

OK, a) it's amazing that, in between reading all these books, I managed to find the time to work, go to London, live in Gothenburg and Cambridge, get a CPE and get drunk as much as I did, b) cannot believe I read some of them, like John Niven - Kill your friends? Why did I even buy in the first place? It was awful, c) why the fuck didn't A fraction of the whole win the Booker Prize in 2008? Preposterous and d) well, if you look at this, one could be forgiven for thinking I detest my own language. I probably have issues, hatred of own country, language, traditions, whatnot. Also, I might be schizophrenic.