20090602

I HAVE NOW ASSUMED TIME WILL PROVIDE AN EXPLANATION

"Yes. I feel that I am involved. I have never felt that with anyone else. There's a problem in his life. I do not know what it is but I feel the way in which he deals with it affects me. I've told no one that and - like anything that is really true - it sounds quite ridiculous when it is put into words. It may be all nonsense. He may be simply amusing himself with me."
"In one sense, then, you don't trust him at all."
(...) "I shan't be able to explain, but I'll try if you like."
"Try", I said with a smile.
"It seems to me that here and there are people who simply cannot be judged by accepted standards. Because they are what they are, they have temptations of a different order from other people. This is partly Jonathan's theory. Sometimes the more highly developed they are, the greater becomes the attraction of the abyss. The sins they commit are different in kind from the sins of others."
(...) And you think accepted standards are irrelevant where Scrivener is concerned?"
"I am certain of it," she said quietly.

- I am Jonathan Scrivener, Claude Houghton