20131226

MEN AND WOMEN

Books read:
Elanor Dymott - Every contact leaves a trace
Shirley Jackson - Hangsaman
Louise Doughty - Apple tree yard

"The weekend after, I threw a fit as screechy as the couple in the flat above us and told Guy that I would never be able to finish the project proposal I was working on unless he took the kids out for the afternoon on the Sunday; and he did, without demur. This was the thing he never understood: yes, he would give me time to work when I demanded it, but my time was considered to belong to our family unit unless I signalled that I wanted out. His time was considered to belong to himself unless I demanded that he opt in.
   Evene the nice ones don't understand what this is like. What's the problem? They say it sadly, trying to do the right thing. All you have to do is ask..."
- Apple tree yard, Louise Doughty