20131104

Q/A

OK, so I kind of borrowed this list from a Swedish blog. Translated the questions, skipped some, changed some. All pictures by my good friend, Karin Wåhlberg.  Here we go:

Currently reading: The goldfinch by Donna Tartt.
What you are planning to read after that: The passage by Justin Cronin (feel a bit embarrassed by this fact) or maybe Fatherland by Robert Harris.
Favourite bookstore: In Stockholm: The English Bookshop. In London: Foyles (though I really like Waterstones on Picadilly Circus). In Berlin: Saint George's English Bookshop.
Favourite place to read (at home): In my bed or on the sofa.
Three favourite authors: Doris Lessing, Margaret Atwood, Margaret Drabble (schocking, I know!).

















Best thing to read when hungover: Blogs. I almost never read when I am hungover. I mostly eat and look at clips of Taylor Swift on Youtube.
The best book you've read this year: Well. OK. The best book I've read this year in terms of good writing: The sweetest dream by Doris Lessing. In terms of couldn't-put-it-down-cried-when-it-was-over: Gone with the wind by Margaret Mitchell.
The book(s) you bought most recently: The passage (yep, still embarrassing.)
















Favourite genre: I honestly don't know. I don't much like poetry, and I only like science fiction if it is by Margaret Atwood (and even then, I can't say I'm the biggest fan). I always thought I didn't like thrillers, but then I discovered Gillian Flynn. And Sophie Hannah. And Tana French.
Favourite place to read (outside of your home): I do like to read on the underground, but generally I don't read in public. I don't drink coffee, I only drink wine and I'd rather do that in company than with a book.
A writer you admire: If I have to choose only one: Doris Lessing. But Siri Hustvedt is worth mentioning as well.
The worst book you've read this year: Probably Now you see her by Joy Fielding. It was so boring and badly written I wanted to fall asleep (I have no idea why I kept reading it - maybe because I waited for it to get better the whole time? It didn't.)
Favourite quote: "I meant to keep myself out of this story, which is a laugh, really, I agree: I see however that in failing to disclose certain facts I make myself out to be some sort of voyeuse, and I am too vain to leave anyone with the impression that the lives of others interest me more than my own." A summer bird-cage, Margaret Drabble. But the most perfect sentence ever is this one from Elaine Dundy's The dud avocado: "A rowdy bunch on the whole, they were most of them so violently individualistic as to be practically interchangeable."