20111211

HOW TO BECOME A WRITER

Three things:
1) Read Bonjour tristesse and A certain smile by Françoise Sagan. In Bonjour tristesse, Cécile realises that "procrastination can rule our lives, yet not provide us with any arguments in its defence". So true. Instead of working on my essay for the course I'm taking (The Holocaust in European History and Historography) I'm doing, well, anything else, really. I've always been extremely interested in the Holocaust, and have read a crazy amount of books on the subject, but honestly, right now I feel like Kate Winslet in Extras when she says: "I don't think we really need another film about the Holocaust, do we, it's like, how many have there been? You know, we get it, it was grim, move on."
2) Currently reading The diary of a good neighbour by Doris Lessing. From The diaries of Jane Somers. It's quite good, and obviously it would be.
3) Just a link to one of my favourite short stories: How to become a writer by Lorrie Moore. I really recommend The collected stories by Lorrie Moore, as they are all so ridiculously good. So happy I could find How to become a writer on the internet.