20101021

WHICH IS MORE THAN I CAN SAY ABOUT SOME PEOPLE

Since megavideo is all "You've watched 72 minutes, please wait 54 minutes or sign up" so I can't watch The City for an hour, I've decided to finally post a list of some of the books I've bought since moving to London (won't mention the ones from the post back in August);

Margaret Atwood - The tent
Margaret Atwood - Surfacing
Joyce Carol Oates - Rape a love story
Doris Lessing - The diaries of Jane Somers
Marilyn French - The women's room
Sylvia Plath - Ariel
Richard Yates - The easter parade
Richard Yates - Young hearts crying
Iain Banks - The wasp factory
Hannah Arendt - Eichmann in Jerusalem (a report on the banality of evil)
Michael Chabon - Wonder boys
Michael Ende - The neverending story
A.S. Byatt - The Oxford book of English short stories
Sebastian Faulks - Charlotte Gray
Laurence Rees - Auschwitz
Laurence Rees - The Nazis
George Orwell - Why I write
Kazuo Ishiguro - Never let me go

Bought some of these for school, but will keep them regardless (for background: dropped out of uni. Cue Grease song, "no graduation day for you!") Anyway, I will incorporate those books into my own collection. Books that did not make the cut: Pride and prejudice and Trainspotting. God, I hate those books. Anyway, for some reason I haven't been reading as much as I normally do since moving here. Makes me feel lost. Have read Bodily harm by Margaret Atwood, The tent by the same author, Rape a love story and The falls by Oates, Auschwitz by Laurence Rees and a lot of the short stories from the Lorrie Moore book. Reading Ishiguro's Never let me go now; it's good but so different from what I usually go for. Feel like I wanna read some Joan Didion but, to my great shock and surprise, can't find any of her books at Waterstones. Sad.