20090303

A HEARTBREAKING WORK OF STAGGERING GENIUS

"I look over and smile when one of them makes a joke that is laughed at by all. They laugh, I chuckle - not too much, I don't want to seem overeager, but enough to say "I hear you. I laugh with you. I share in the moment." But when the chuckling is over I am still apart, something else, and no one is sure what I am."

- Dave Eggers

I just completely identify. Completely. Those sentences made me think of the opening to the movie version of American psycho which I (to a lesser degree) also identify with:

"There is an idea (...), some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense that our lifestyles are probably comparable, I am simply not there."